Table of Contents

   Kashmiri Writers

Koshur Music

An Introduction to Spoken Kashmiri



Pt. Amar Nath Muthoo: A Tribute to Grandfather

By Kuldeep Raina

PT. AMAR NATH MUTHOO, affectionately called by family members as 'Lala' lived at Bulbul Lankar (Ali Kadal) in downtown Srinagar. He was born to Pt. Damodar Muthoo and Smt. Vishmal.

Pt. Amarnath Muthoo in early years of his service at Anantnag

Pt. Amarnath Muthoo in early years of his service at Anantnag

Amar Nath had one brother-Pt. Shankar Nath and three sisters, married in Budgami, Taploo and Rangroo families. He was married to Kamla alias Kakni, daughter of Pt. Amarchand Tikoo of Peth Kanihama.

Amar Nath was serving as SHO Kulgam in July, 1947 when he was promoted and transferred to Askardu as SHO with the rank of Sub-Inspector. His two close relations-brother Shankar Nath and wife's brother Sh. Gopi Nath Tiku too served in State Police. The former remained constable only while the latter retired as SHO.

Pt. Amar Nath was a man of great taste and lived in style. He loved Bacchus and quite often held Sufiana mehfils at his place. His aristorcratic style of living and the authority he wielded earned for him the sobriquet of 'Hakim Sab'. My grandfather (Nana) enjoyed close friendship with Pt. Dina Nath alias 'Dina Patel' and Kh. Saifuddin, who later retired as DIG. Sometime before grandfather had served at Muzaffarabad also. There was a group clash. He had slapped one of the trouble makers who was quite sick. Though the latter died a natural death, yet a case was slapped against Pt. Amar Nath. An enquiry was ordered, DIG Kashmir was to visit Muzaffarabad in this connection. 'Dina Patel' was Traffic Inspector in Muzaffarabad. Amar Nath asked for help from his friend 'Dina Patel'. The day DIG left for Muzaffarabad Patel manoeuvred to stop traffic at Domel bridge. DIG could not come for enquiry. Meanwhile, Amar Nath was able to convince the aggrieved family that victim had died a natural death. The matter was subsequently closed.

Amar Nath had six daughters but no son. He reared his children like boys, keeping male names for them. His brother's wife had died young, leaving behind a son and daughter. It was on Lala's insistence that the son Kashi Nath was sent to college. He subsequently joined Army, retiring as Major.

How my grandfather was killed has remained a mystery to the family. Shortly before his death he wrote identical letters to his brother and Sh. Gopi Nath Tiku. In these he had written, 'I am under siege. It is difficult to survive. If I live I will manage to reach home whatever difficult the terrain might be'. He had also impressed upon his brother that his daughters should be made to eat food in the Thali (plate) in which he used to take his food. Amarnath's eldest daughter in 1947 was 12 years old, while the youngest was only 6 months. Amar Nath had also written, 'my wife likes Kahwa. She should not have to worry about Sugar. Keep it in plenty for her'. Through the letters the family came to know that things were bad in Askardu but at the same time Lala was safe.

Amar Nath as SHO Askardu had the responsibility to take care of treasury at the Fort. It is said Pakistanis were looking for namesake of my grandfather who was probably treasury officer. As per one version grandfather was dragged, nails were thrust into his body and he was mercilessly killed. Another version claims that Amar Nath was abducted and held captive. It is said that he later subsequently started his business in Askardu. Amar Nath was just 34 in 1948.

My grandmother Kakni could never come out of shock. Going to Pirs and Faqirs became a daily routine. She would sit often at the window of brerkani (attic) and mutter to herself 'ya yim nata nim' (Either come or take me also). One day when Labroo family in the neighbourhood had called Nandbab to their home Kakni also went there. The occasion was safe return of Pt. Sham Lal Labroo who too was held captive in Muzaffarabad. When Kakni bowed before Nandbab he gave her two-rupee note. It was unusual and was interpreted as hint to her not to come again. 6 months later she died.

Soon after grandfather's martyrdom Kothi Bagh Police Station had received a wireless message from Col. PN Kak about his death. It was through Pt. Amar Nath Taploo (sister's husband) the family learnt about the killing. Grandfather's close friend Kh. Saifuddin helped the family sort out Insurance claim within no time.  Amar Nath's six daughters were brought up under the affectionate care of Sh. Shankar Nath and Sh. Gopi Nath Tiku.

Source: Kashmir Sentinel



Facebook Account Follow us and get Koshur Updates Video clips Image Gallery
Kashmiri Overseas Association, Inc. (KOA) is a 501c(3) non-profit, tax-exempt socio-cultural organization registered in Maryland, USA. Its purpose is to protect, preserve, and promote Kashmiri ethnic and socio-cultural heritage, to promote and celebrate festivals, and to provide financial assistance to the needy and deserving.

 | Home | Culture & Heritage | Copyrights Policy | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement | Credits | Contact Us |

Any content available on this site should NOT be copied or reproduced

in any form or context without the written permission of KOA.