- M.A. (English), University of Kashmir, 1972.
- M. Mus (Santoor), Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad,
- M. Mus. (Sitar) Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad,
- M.S. - A graduate study in Western Classical Music
at the Washington University at Missoruri, St. Louis, U.S.A., 1973 - 1974.
TRAINING IN MUSIC
Pandit Bhajan Sopori hails from a family of musicians of
Sofiana Gharana of Kashmir having been trained by his grand father Pandit S.C.
Sopori (Santoorist of Sofi Cult) and later received training from his father
Pandit S.N. Sopori. One of the main characterstics of his gharana is the
presentation of Santoor in which Indian Classical mujic "Ghyaki Ang"
and Kashmiri Classical Traditions are coordinated.
- Lecturer in Music in the Department of Education, J
& K state, Srinagar-1972.
- Teaching assistant at the Washington University of
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A., 1973-1974.
- A Director Programmes, Music, All India Radio,
Akashwani Bhawan, New Delhi.
- Top Ranking Concert Artist (Santoor Player) having
preformed in almost all the prestigious Music Conferences of the country.
- Lecture demostrations on Indian Classical Music in
- Lecture demonstrations in the Institute of Arabic
Music, Cairo, 1978.
- Selected as a member of Cultural Delegation to
Egypt, Yugoslavia, Bulgana, Romania-1978. Sponsored by Ministry of Education
- A member of the Cultural delegation to Syria and
- Selected by Sangeet Natak Academy, New Delhi for
lecture demonstrations in the University ot Oslo Department of
- Participalion in Lec - Dem series of Concerts
organised by SPICMACY for propagation of Indian Classical Music among the
- Performed in Akashwani Sangeet Sammelans and other
National Programmes of All India Radio and Doordarshan.
- Performed in London in the "SPRING
- Represented India in the "FESTIVAL OF
INDIA" in Germany 1992.
- Participated in the Musicologists Seminar at India
International Cullural Centre on the subject "Greek India Music".
- Invited by the Sangeet Natak Academy for lecture-
demonstrations on "Kashmiri Sofiana and Folk Music" in the
Seminars & on Greek folk music and Indian folk Cultures.
- The Iranian television Centre, Tehran, recorded his
programme of Santoor recital for telecast from Tehran-1975.
- Ex-member of the "Folk Music Advisory
Committee", Cultural Academy - Jammu & Kashmir.
- Ex-member of the faculty of Kashmir University.
- Produced a number of musical programmes, musical
features, Operas and the special illustrated programmes on the Folk and
Classical music of Jammu & Kashmir state and the Indian Classical music.
Some of the programmes were specially produced for Italia Prize Competition,
A.B.U. Festival and also Akashwani Annual Award.
- Composed Orchestral pieces based on Folk &
- Composed back ground Music pieces for Kashmiri film
'Shayri Kashmir Mahjoor' and Hangul, a T.V. documentary.
- Composed music for a Cassette of "Prayer and
Patriotic Songs" under community singing to introduce common prayer in
the valley released by the Department of Education.
ORCHESTRAS FOR VIDYA VRINDA/COMPOSITIONS
- SYMPHONY -- Winter in Kashmir (depicting the
different aspects of winter in the valley and around) - 1974.
- IRFAN - Ecstasy (played by All India Radio VIDYA
Vrinda), National Orchestra -1978.
- KIRWANI -- (Composition based on Indian Classical
Ragha) played by National Orchestra, VIDYA Vrinda -1979.
- NAGMA -- Orchestra based on the folk melody - played
by national Orchestra-1979.
- Composed and conducted Choir in the Choral music
concerts organised by Radio Kashmir, Sahitya Kala Parished, Delhi and
- Composed all Soofi poets of Kashmir including Lal
Dev and Sheikhul Alam and other classical poets of Urdu and Hindi languages.
Have put Wakhs, Sanskrit shalokas and some Persian, Arabic and Sanskrit
pharases into rhythm.
- Composed music for CHURAHA - a T.V. serial on the
Adult Education in 1992.
- Composed background music for a T.V. documentary 'A
LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME' -1991.
- Composed background music for telefilms - ZAMEEN,
MAHAN-YATRA - 1993.
- Composed music for Tamil-Telegu songs.
- Composed music for more than 2000 light music songs
which are sung by the eminent playback singers and reputed vocalists of the
- "AKH SAWAL" -- A documentary on marriage
songs - Second Prize in the Akashwani Annual Award.
- LAL BO DRAYS -- Music Production Certificate of
- SEASONS OF KASHMIR -- musical Production -
Cerbficate of merit.
- DARYAV -- Musical Feature - Certificate ot Merit.
- Honoured with the prestigious Panjabi Award 'SAKHA'
for Musical Excellence -1992.
- Telugu Film Award - 1993.
- "Sharda Samman" -- Kashmiri Association
- Sangeet Natak Akademi award - 1993
- L.P. records of his Santoor have been released by
- Cassettes of Santoor released by Sarvashree
Enterprises, Bombay and HMV.
- A compact disc of Santoor recorded at Germany -
- Jugalbandi - Sitar and Santoor released by Music
India - 1993.
- 'NAGHM-E-FIRDOUS' - A cassette of light classical
music released by HMV.
- "SONI JEE MEEM JEE - A cassette of Punjabi Folk
music - 1993.
- A cassette of BHAJANS recorded for Mahila Mandal
which was released on Diwali 1992.
Composed music for cassettes released by Music India featuring melodies of
Rajasthan and Himachal.